How to beat acne by focusing on what you can control?

Nearly two decades ago, researchers delved into the examination of the impact of genetic and environmental elements on the susceptibility to acne in a study involving 1,500 sets of twins. Their findings revealed that 81% of acne cases could be attributed to genetic influences, leaving the remaining 19% ascribed to distinct environmental factors such as diet, lifestyle, and psychological factors.

Given these statistics, one might question the significance of addressing one's lifestyle, considering the substantial 4 in 5 likelihood that such efforts may not yield a discernible difference. The logic could be, if alterations in diet prove ineffective, does it not validate the futility of such endeavors?

However, this perspective overlooks a crucial aspect— the unpredictable nature of life. To illustrate, consider the lottery. While the odds of winning stand at 1 in 45,057,474, the probability of a change in diet, lifestyle, environment, psychology, or stress level impacting one's breakouts is 1 in 5. Would you not take a chance with a 1 in 5 possibility of turning a small investment into a substantial gain?

Granted, the analogy may not perfectly align with the statistics, but even if acne is predominantly driven by genetic factors (as is often the case), lifestyle modifications can still exert a significant influence.

Take stress, for instance. The intricate physiological changes triggered by stress involve a rise in cortisol and related hormones, inadvertently increasing skin oil production and fostering breakouts. While the precise reason for this phenomenon eludes scientific understanding, it underscores the interplay between environmental triggers and genetic predispositions.

Addressing just the stress component within the overarching 19% may tilt the balance in favour of healthier skin. By concentrating on modifiable factors rather than fixating on the immutable, one might embark on a journey towards reduced stress, lower cortisol levels, and subsequently fewer breakouts.

It is important to acknowledge that true contentment does not hinge on a flawless complexion. Yet, this sentiment may seem distant when grappling with the challenges of breakouts.

For those seeking further insights, the study titled "The influence of genetics and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of acne: a twin study of acne in women" (J Invest Dermatol. 2002 Dec;119(6):1317-22) provides a comprehensive exploration of the subject. [Link to the study:]

Explore more